Thursday 16 July 2015

The 30 Day Challenge


I'm an all or nothing kind of person...you're either all in 100% or not at all!
The beginning of this week marked my start to the 30 day challenge. What's the 30 day challenge you ask? How does a no carb, no sugar, no dairy, no caffeine, no alcohol diet sound? Talk about intense...it's been a tough four days what with no coffee to pick me up! But there is some sense to my madness.

It's more of a 'lifestyle change'...now I know that's very stereotypical but it honestly is. Will I cut everything out forever, no but after the 30 days I'll definitely be cutting down my intake of these types of foods. It was a decision I made after I found out a colleague at work was starting her journey. I thought right you've been eating whatever you want for the past year, gained a lot of weight...its time to do something about it! These are my tips to succeeding in your 30 day challenge.

1. Food prep - I learnt this the hard way thinking it would be easy to cook daily meals the night before...ah no you'll spend your whole night cooking - unless you like that kind of thing! Prep your whole weeks worth of lunches and dinners and you'll feel more in control and less likely to fall off the path. Keep each meal in a plastic container in the fridge and you're good to go. 
 
2. Don't  grocery shop on an empty stomach - Make a list and stick to what's on that list. I like to go Sunday evening after dinner, when the shops are quiet and you can take your time without what feels like the whole suburb in the one Woolies. If you go grocery shopping when you're hungry, you're more likely to impulse purchase junk food you don't need.
 
3. Keep plenty of healthy snacks on hand - This helps your mind stop from wandering towards lollies or whatever is available, again an impulse decision. I found that most of the time I didn't actually mind what I was snacking on, it was just going for whatever was readily available. So make it convenient for yourself by cutting up carrot sticks, having a piece of fruit on your desk, keep a container of nuts in your handbag. 
 
4. Make a meal plan - It was very overwhelming at first - I was thinking, what am I going to eat everyday and shopping was difficult without a proper plan and shopping list.  Plan out each day, breakfast, lunch and dinner so you know exactly what meals are coming up that week and will make grocery shopping a breeze.
 
5. Keep active -  For me, keeping active helps clear my mind and only puts me closer towards my goal weight. I love to run and challenge myself with how far and fast I can go. Just getting away from your desk and out of the office for a quick walk can re-energise your mind - give it a go!
 
6. Start with a friend - Hearing about the challenge from a friend was how I got involved. It's much easier if you're in it with someone else, able to share meal ideas and bounce energy off one another. It definitely makes the challenge a little easier.
 
If you've ever wondered what it would be like on one of these healthy challenges, stop wondering and just give it a go! The first couple of days may be challenging but push yourself and find your boundaries. After four days into it, I'm already in a good routine and keen to keep going.
I hope these tips have helped you out in your journey and do let me know if you have any tips of your own that I could benefit from. 

1 comment:

  1. Yup
    Those elements will keep you upbeat about staying with it

    ReplyDelete